1. South Easton High School
Southside Easton started out as “South Easton,” a separate town and municipality from Easton. As such, at that time, it also had it's own school system and it's own high school. Eventually, after South Easton dissolved and merged with Easton, and the Easton school system began to consolidate with other local districts, the high school was also merged into what is now Easton Area High School.
The old South Easton High School is now the Shull Center, which houses the Southside senior center and the Southside Branch of the Easton Public Library.
2. Easton High School
Now known as the Governor Wolf Building, the original Easton High School on South Second Street was highly regarded and a privilege to attend in a time when most people's education ceased upon graduation of the 8th grade.
Pennsylvania Governor George Wolf, born in Northampton County and an Easton lawyer, ultimately sacrificed his political career in his dedication to establishing public school education in Pennsylvania, and he is commemorated in the “Penny Arch,” which was literally raised through the penny donations of Easton school children in the late 19th century.
This iconic arch is echoed in the architecture of the second Easton High School on Northampton Street, and a smaller replica arch was installed on the current Easton Area High School campus located at 25th Street and William Penn Highway.
3. Traill Green School
Named for the local famous physician and Lafayette College benefactor Traill Green, this stately neighborhood elementary school at South 13th and Washington streets was attended by young Eastonians from 1902 to 1971. After it was closed by the district, it sat vacant for a decade and a half until it was converted into an apartment house, which it remains today.
4. Cottingham School
Most recently the EASD administration office until its move to 1801 Bushkill Drive, this turn-of-the-century neighborhood school at Ninth Street on Northampton has definitely seen better days. The only thing clear about its future is that it will likely be revitalized, to what ultimate purpose remains to be seen.
5. Taylor School
Torn down decades ago to make way for St. John's Lutheran Church's parking lot, the elegance of this Downtown public school was reportedly remarkable, including marble staircases and a crystal chandeliers.