Fire Displaces Family, Kills Pets
South Side home damaged, five dogs die.
A South Side Easton family lost their home and their pets in a Friday morning fire.
The American Red Cross of the Greater Lehigh Valley said it would provide meals, lodging, toiletries and stuffed animals to the family, which lived at 606 Belmont Street. Five of the families pit bulls died in the fire.
The fire was called in around 9:30 a.m. Friday. News reports said the fire began because the power was mistakenly shut off to the home. The family did not turn their kitchen appliances off before they left; when the power company restored electricity, those appliances came back on.